One out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted
or completed rape in her lifetime. 2 Among all victims,
about nine out of ten are female.
One out of every 33 American men has been the victim of an attempted
or completed rape in his lifetime. 2 About 10% of all victims
Age of sexual assault victims: 6
- 15% are under age 12.
- 29% are age 12-17
- 44% are under age 18
- 80% are under age 30
- Ages 12-34 are the highest risk years 3
- Girls ages 16-19 are four times more likely than the general
population to be victims of sexual assault. 3
Estimated persons raped in lifetime by gender and race: 2
- 17.7% of white women
- 18.8% of African-American women
- 6.8% of Asian / Pacific Islander women
- 34.1% of American Indian / Alaskan Native women
- 24.4% mixed race women
- 14.6% of Hispanic women
- 2.8% of white men
- 3.3% of African-American men
- 4.4% of mixed race men
- The sample size was too small to estimate for Asian/ Pacific
Islander and American Indian / Alaskan Native men
Reporting to the PoliceThere were 90,427 forcible rapes reported to police in 2007. 9
When victims of rape, attempted rape, and sexual assault did not report the crime to the police, the most often cited reasons were:5
- Sexual assault is one of the most underreported crimes, with an average of 39% being reported to the police each year. 1*
The closer the relationship between the female victim and the offender, the greater the likelihood that the incident will not be reported. 5
- Personal matter (23.3%)
- Fear of reprisal (16.3%)
- Police biased (5.8%)
- Attempted rape:
- Personal matter (16.8%);
- Fear of reprisal (11.3%);
- Protect offender (9.9%)
- Completed and attempted sexual assault:
- Personal matter (25.3%);
- Reported to different official (12.4%);
- Fear of reprisal (11.3%)
- When the offender was a current or former husband or boyfriend, about 75% of all victimizations were not reported to police.
- When the offender was a friend or acquaintance, an average 71% were not reported.
- When the offender was a stranger, an average 44% were not reported.
Effects of RapePhysical Injuries
100% of completed rapes, 39% of attempted rapes, and 17% sexual assaults against females result in injured victims.5
Only around 36% of injured victims receive medical care.2
- 33% of victims sustain minor (bruises and chipped teeth) physical injuries
- 5% of victims sustain major (broken bones and gunshot wounds) injuries
- 61% of victims sustain undetermined injuries
- 82% of those cared for use hospital services
- 55% use physician services
- 17% use dental services
- 19% use ambulatory / paramedic services
- 17% use physical therapy services
Victims of sexual assault are: 3
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression.
- 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
About 1 in 11 sexual assault victims reported that they suffered some economic loss as a consequence of the crime.6
- The average economic loss (in 1997) was about $200
- Nearly 7% of victims reported losing time from work.
Occurrence of Sexual AssaultsThe number of rapes reported is spread fairly evenly throughout the year, with a slight increase in August (around 9%) and the fewest in December (around 7%).6
Nearly 6 out of 10 sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred in their own home or at the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor.6
- Time of day sexual assaults occur: 6
- 43% between 6:00pm and midnight.
- 33% between 6:00am and 6:00pm
- 24% between midnight and 6:00am
Click here to learn more about where these statistics come from.
Almost 2/3 of sexual assaults are committed by someone known to the victim.1
Only about 6% of rapists ever serve a day in jail. 1
- 23% of rapists are an intimate
- 3% are another relative
- 38% are a friend or acquaintance
- 31% are a stranger
- 6% are unknown
The average age of an arrested rapist is 31 years old.6
Marital status of arrested rapists.6
- 0.6% are 17 years old or younger
- 54.6% are 18 to 29 years old
- 28.6% are 30 to 39 years old
- 8.9% are 40 to 49 years old
- 7.3% are 50 years old or older
An average 8% of sexual assaults each year involve the use of a weapon.1
- 22.1% are married
- 1.2% are widowed
- 28.5% are divorced
- 6.2% are separated
- 42% are never married
Convicted rapists made up 1.2% of the 272,111 state prisoners released in 1994, and 46% of these released rapists were rearrested within three years for some type of felony or serious misdemeanor.7
- 2% use a firearm
- 4% use a knife
- 2% use another form of weapon
- 6% are unsure
- 87% of victims reported the use of physical force only
In 1999, women accounted for 1 in 50 offenders committing a violent sex offense including rape and sexual assault.8
- 2.5% were rearrested for another rape.
- Nearly 6 in 10 of these women serving time in state prisons have experienced physical or sexual abuse in the past.
- Offenders in sexual assault murders are about 6 years younger on average than other murderers.6
- Youth under 18 have accounted for about 10% of the sexual assault murders since 1976.